Sometimes trying to get multiple kids to all look good in the one picture is too much of a task. In these cases I will do a face or head swap. So, I thought I’d do a bit of a before and after on a picture I took this morning. I finally found my 70-200mm lens in an unpacked box and decided to take it for a test run after not having used it for about 10 months. My kids were not hugely enthusiastic about the idea.
Here is the best picture of the bunch I took. This is straight out of camera (SOOC) with no post work.
I wasn’t happy with Master N’s expression. If you look at the large version one of his eyes is open wider than the other. I think I caught him finishing a blink or something. So, I found a picture of him taken a few minutes prior in the same light and location where he looked a lot happier and I swapped in his head.
Here’s the finished image below with the new head. The image is also slightly straightened and marginally cropped. I did a few minor colour adjustments, lightened up the children’s faces a little and removed some mosquito bites from Miss I’s face. If you look closely you can see some areas on Master N’s top that are different from the original and there’s a few other bits and pieces from the head swap that I could clean up a little more if I was going to be super picky. Seeing as it’s my own kids and I have thousands of photos of them I’m not too worried. If I was doing this for someone else I’d spend some more time making it absolutely perfect though.
I use a Canon 5D MkII for all my pictures and edit in Lightroom and Photoshop.